1900 – 1980

1902

The following advertisement appeared in the Dumfries & Galloway Standard, 22nd March 1902.
DUMFRIES

LOCHVALE HOUSE, near Dumfries, to SELL, with the LANDS, extending to 76 acres; or to LET(unfurnished) and without the Lands. Entry at Whitsunday, 1902. The Mansion House, pleasantly situated 11/4 Miles from Dumfries, contains Five Public Rooms, Eight Bedrooms (two with dressing rooms), and Servants Accommodation. Coachman’s and Gardener’s Houses with Stable, Coach-house, etc. Good Water Supply and Drainage. There is an excellent Garden of about Two Acres.

The Lands are in first rate order and could readily let by a purchaser. Full particulars from Messrs GILMOUR & CHRISTIE, Solicitors, Irvine.

1905

The 1905 Valuation Roll for the Parish of Dumfries, County of Dumfries shows the Owner of Lochvale House to be The Trustees of the late Andrew Lusk, and the Tenant Occupier to be H Leighton Hare.

1908

The following advertisement appeared in the Dumfries & Galloway Standard, 12th December 1908.
DUMFRIES

LOCHVALE HOUSE, near Dumfries, to SELL, with the LANDS, extending to 76 acres; or to LET(unfurnished) and without the Lands. Entry at Whitsunday, 1909. The Mansion House, pleasantly situated 11/4 Miles from Dumfries, contains Five Public Rooms, Eight Bedrooms (two with dressing rooms), and Servants Accommodation. Coachman’s and Gardener’s Houses with Stable, Coach-house, etc. Good Water Supply and Drainage. There is an excellent Garden of about Two Acres.

The Lands are in first rate order and could readily let by a purchaser. Full particulars from Messrs GILMOUR & CHRISTIE, Solicitors, Irvine.

Messrs P Stoble and Son, Dumfries, will give Cards to View the Premises, and will supply any further information.

This same advertisement appeared at regular intervals in the Dumfries & Galloway Standard until March 1910.

1915-16

The 1915-16 Valuation Roll for the Parish of Dumfries, County of Dumfries shows the Owner/Occupier of Lochvale House to be James Clenaghan.

1920-21

The 1920-21 Valuation Roll for the Parish of Dumfries, County of Dumfries shows the Owner/Occupier of Lochvale House to be James Clenaghan, Cattle Dealer.

1925-26

The 1925-26 Valuation Roll for the Parish of Dumfries, County of Dumfries shows the Proprietor of Lochvale House and Offices to be Dumfries & Maxwelltown Education Society per William Moodie, Solicitor, Dumfries. James Clenaghan still owned and armed the lands around the Main House.

1926-27

The 1926-27 Valuation Roll for the Parish of Dumfries, County of Dumfries shows that the Dumfries & Maxwelltown Education Society now had a Tenant for Lochvale House and Offices, namely Robert Thomson, Superintendant.

This suggests that the “Boys Home Trust” had established their Home for orphaned boys, or those that were neglected or destitute, at Lochvale House. They came to the Home from all over Scotland.